South Side Sites
- Carnegie Library (South Side branch)
- The library is located at the corner of 22nd and E. Carson, just west of the Birmingham Bridge. (431-0505).
***> Sent by Christian A. Gmiter at firstname.lastname@example.org:
Although this page is primarily geared for the bar/restaurant scene, I think that the library is just as much an integral part of the South Side as is Station Square or the Rex. The library staff is always courteous and friendly, always finding an answer for complex questions or reference questions.
There are many functions at the library for all ages. There is a pre-school story time, a teen summer reading club, booksale, and even a food sampler, the Gourmet Sampler. The sampler features hors d'oeuvres from over 30 Sahside restaurants, including Fatheads and Sigmund's Nut House. (Check out their Web site for timely details.)
The library is quieter than the busier Squirrel Hill or Oakland branches, so if you need a quiet place to study, or have an important question, just come down to S.22 and Carson, to "check out" the South Side branch. (10/5/95)
- New Pittsburgh Courier
- A bit west of the flats, this excllent newspaper has been located at 315 East Carson Street since 1967.
***> Sent by Stephan A. Broadus, Assistant to the Publisher, on September 16, 2003:
The online version of the New Pittsburgh Courier offers timely news, commentary, sports, entertainment, health, education and other information of interest to the African American Community.
The New Pittsburgh Courier is one of the oldest and most prestigious Black newspapers in the United States, with a rich and storied history. Pittsburgh attorney and journalist Robert L. Vann founded the Pittsburgh Courier in 1910. At a time when mainstream newspapers would not or could not solve the problems of the Black community or report news without bias, the Courier served as an alternative voice for Black Americans, focusing on issues that aroused awareness in a community just beginning to find its voice. The Courier, covering news around the world reached an all time high circulation of 450,000 with over 400 employees in 1948.
In 1966 John H. Sengstacke purchased the newspaper and renamed it the New Pittsburgh Courier. It became part of Sengstacke Newspapers (now Real Times, Inc.) - the largest and most influential Black newspaper chain in the country - which also includes the Chicago Daily Defender, Michigan Chronicle, Michigan Front Page and (Memphis) Tri-State Defender. Today the New Pittsburgh Courier continues to serve as a vehicle for Black expression, now publishing Award-Winning local editions twice a week on Wednesday and Saturday serving southwestern PA.
- Veronica's Veil Players
- The Veronica's Veil Players are a non-profit
church/community theater group,
dedicated to continuing the tradition of
presenting the lenten drama Veronica's Veil
(which first began in 1910) as well as presenting
other quality theatrical productions at affordable
See their excellent web site or Sahside Misc for addresses and telephone numbers of ticket office and auditorium.
- Phillips Elementary School
***> Sent by Rosemary Grogan at email@example.com:
Phillips Elementary School located at 1901 Sarah St. is the only public elementary school on the SouthSide. Phillips is a neighborhood school housing students from Kindergarten through fifth grade. We also have two learning support classes and a pre-school handicapped class. The Phillips' curriculum has an emphasis on science and math, with particular interest in the study of the Monongahela River. (1/8/96)
Visit Phillips' home page
Back to the South Side page
Copyright 1995 by Beth Mazur, maintained by Penn